Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Bit of an Update..

I thought it was probably time for a little update on the bodybuilding endeavor. However as I read over this post, it is as if I suffer from non-medicated ADHD. It’s a bit of everything.

Last year when I asked for opinions as to whether one could, or should, try to train for bodybuilding and ultras simultaneously the concensus was no. When I asked for reasons as to why I was usually given a shrug of the shoulders or a vague reply that usually included a phrase stating that the two sports oppose one another too greatly. One builds muscle one doesn’t. Fair enough. I couldn’t find anyone who had actually tried to train for both, so I had to try! We know how that turned out.

The only thing in common that I have found between bodybuilding and ultrarunning is the tough training, focus and persaverence necessary. Of course if my diet while ultrarunning hadn’t been so minimal there wouldn’t be that tough mental difference. Body shape really is all about diet. That’s another whole post..diet vs exercise on the weight loss front.

I’ve been training seriously for only a month and I am amazed at the changes in my body. More changes than when I tried this last year and was at 14 weeks. Physically bodybuilding isn’t all that difficult. I’m used to training, pain and putting in time. Of course the lifts are exhausting at the time when preformed and there is much delayed muscle onset soreness in the following days as I am pretty much sore 24/7, but that doesn’t bother me. If I wasn’t sore I would probably feel like I hadn’t worked hard enough. In this phase of training bodybuilding doesn’t take any more time that ultra running does. I’m in the gym 5-6 days a week for roughly 1.5 hours at a time. Of course on top of that I run with Topaz for 1 + hours a day for the pure joy of it.

In the past I wasn’t able to get any soreness out of my biceps. Yesterday bicep/tricep was on tap and I was shocked at how my arms looked. I performed supersets consisting of tricep-then bicep and the pump was scary. Near the end of my workout my biceps were so large that they ached. They resembeled concrete bricks. It brings attention and this is difficult to get used to. I prefer to blend in and not have anyone notice me lifting, although as I’m the only girl in the weight room I don’t blend so well. Needless to say, today my biceps are sore.

My workouts in this phase consist of two options: high volume versus heavy. The high volume consists of supersets with higher reps and lighter weight, the heavy is less reps, heavy weight. Both kick my ass. I alternate between the two. Body parts are split as shoulders/traps high volume shoulder/traps heavy, legs high volume, legs heavy, arms high volume, arms heavy, back heavy, back and rear delts, chest and shoulders heavy, chest and shoulders high volume. Shoulders are hit twice a week-once with chest and once with traps. Hams will be hit twice a week soon. I love it!

Anytime Fitness doesn’t have great leg work equipment for hamstrings. I’m going to head over to Gold’s Gym on my next leg day to compare equipment. I used to be a member of Gold’s from 1991-2006-it was Monticello Athletic Club and Synergy Fitness before Gold’s purchased it. After Gold’s made the purchase Anytime Fitness arrived to Big Lake and that was when I made the switch, about 4 years ago. I’ve been happy with AF but they do not offer the equipment that Gold’s does.

I’m also going to get a day pass one of these days – maybe Friday as I’m off from both jobs- to check out Lifetime Fitness. When I was at their gym in Plymouth for the run training program it looked awesome!

Oh, and does anyone know where JOAN PETERSON is? She was a trainer at Monticello Athletic Club/Synergy Fitness/Gold’s and I want to get back in contact with her. I know she moved from the area and can not for the life of me recall where it was she moved to.

Of course, as I have stated before, my diet is a major change. I call it the undiet. This is where my difficulty comes in. You’d think I’d be all over eating more, but alas, it is a change that I am very uncomfortable with. I’ve been dieting forever and a day and not dieting kind of freaks me out.

Oh, you will notice that I am no longer eating a vegan or raw diet. I was going to originally try a 30 day trial that morphed into a 6 month period because I enjoyed it so much. However, not so much with building muscle as the goal. There may very well be bodybuilders out there consuming a vegan/raw diet but I am not.

Here is my daily nutrition for this week:
Meal 1: egg whites, extra lean ground beef, oats
Meal 2: chicken breast or 97% FF ground turkey breast, brown or white rice , side mixed veggies
Meal 3: 2 scoops whey isolate, medium red apple or grapefruit
Meal 4: chicken breast or 97% FF ground turkey, sweet potato, side green veggies
Meal 5: Lean red meat, fish, side green veggies
Preworkout: hyperbolic/karbolyn
Post workout: karbolyn whey isolate, oats

Yeah, no shortage of food here. I am truly eating all of the time. I bring my cooler wherever I go but I sometimes forget to eat. That seems crazy doesn’t it? I’m eating every 2.3-3 hours! I wonder if part of it is because I’m telling myself to eat, not diet, and I tend to self sabatoge myself. You know, when dieting I’m thinking about food constantly. Of course when I’m dieting I’m hungry constantly. Now I’m finally beginning to feel a bit hungry before my next meal. Earlier in this program I was still full while getting ready to eat my next meal. No longer; a sure sign my metabolism is beginning to change. I’m not freezing all of the time, either. At home I don’t have to wear slippers and wool socks, down blankets, etc. At work I still need to dress warmer as I sit underneath a cooing fan. Yeah, that sucks big time. I’m always cold at work.

I never crave sweets and this is a big change. Here it is almost Easter and I had to remind myself to visit Godiva Ridgedale tomorrow for Easter baskets. I almost forgot. That has never happened. I need to bake the bun bun cake as well. I kind of forgot about those two items. Sugar is not an issue at all. I don’t know that I’ve ever been able to say that before.

So there is the update!. I’m enjoying this process very very much and am excited to continue!

I can’t wait to attend as a spectator at the NPC Gopher State Classic on April 10 and in Rockford IL in May!! I can’t wait to see Liz and Mary up on the stage at the Grand Prix Natural on May 22.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Julie - thanks for the update! I was at Afton on Saturday and we were talking about your bodybuilding endeavour - I loved the other post about the guy in the gym saying you were making them look bad! Though I know you'd be just fine without the attention I'm sure it means you are looking super lean and strong. It's always interesting to hear about the process of reaching for a new goal. Sounds like you are well on the way. But I do hope to see you out on the trails at some point this season :)

Helen

Danni said...

As far as equipment issues go, can't you use freeweights? Heavy squats, deadlifts etc for legs? So much more fun than machines.

I'm glad to see you eating. As a longtime reader I've wondered how you can survive doing so much on so little. I hope it continues to feel awesome and you have great results.

Julie B said...

Thanks Helen! I will get out to Afton one of these days.

Dani-thanks as well. I do use free weights, deads, squats, etc. I find that my quad/calf are over developed and my hams are underdeveloped. My calves always want to do the work of my hams. On the curls I can isolate the muscle so am looking for more ways to do that. Thanks for following!

Rooster said...

Good luck Julie, I hang out with a lot of figure girls and bodybuilders. It's a different world but you're right there are so many similaities between ultra runners and BB's. The perceverence, dedication and discipline are huge requirements in both to achieve success. You might like to follow "fighter diet" she is shredded for sure, has written a bunch of ebooks on dieting and cutting. She is intense and a bit bitter sounding at times but her philosophy and advice are right on for what your doing. I follow her on facebook and she gives some advice on leg workouts plus occasionally she will let you ask her a question and she will answer fully.

Mixing BB and ultra running will not work but if you can do it without getting sick or injured you will most likely be the first! The cutting aspect necessary to be sub 8% doesn't really flow with gyclogen replenishment needs for endurance. On the off season. Perfect.

pammi said...

Perfect solution for obesity workshop india, overweight workshop india

& fitness solutions india

Perfect solution