Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Tempo Run

Gee, two posts right in a row! I must be on a roll.

After having such a great track workout yesterday I was anxious to see what a tempo run would look like today. Normally I have an easier recovery day right after track, but Troy had football practice right after school, only giving me 1.5 hours. I didn't have time to come home, get Topaz and head out for the trail. I just ran 10 miles around the lake two times and then was on schedule to pick up Troy.

The tempo run was awesome! After a day of having my senses assaulted by the noise in the school office on the first day of students back to school I was certainly ready for a good long hard run. I warmed up slowly the first mile..then hit the next 4 miles at a 7:37 minute mile pace. I felt so good that I looked down at my watch and decided I could push it harder. I ran the next 4 miles at a 715 mile pace. What? I don't know. Whatever it is, it is good. GOOD I say. I have never run this fast. It just amazes me as to what the body can do with training. I began what, 12 weeks ago, on this speed schedule. It's made a big difference..was the Lean Horse 100 PR of 22:36 partly because of my tempo and track workouts? I'm beginning to think so. Maybe it was the hard training and not just good luck. Wow. How does a few hours of fast running each week equate to running a 100 mile ultra faster, though? To run faster you need to run faster. Is that it?

Matt Patten: you left a comment that you hear this comment: I remember when Julie Berg was slow. I smiled at that comment. Thanks. It made me feel good.

This just goes to show you dear readers that if you are struggling and feeling slow, you can get faster! You don't have to be genetically gifted, you don't have to be lucky, you can work hard and get results! Isn't that fantastic? It makes us equal. We can work hard and get faster. I love it. I truly love it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
Super workouts you are having. I am new to ultras, but not new to running and yes basically to run fast you gotta "practice" running fast! Keep it up. I love the track even when I am getting ready for ultras!
Karen S

Helen said...

I love it Julie! It is so true - to run faster you just gotta train faster! I remember when I first realized I could run an 8 minute mile and not die, and then sub-8, and so on... it takes time and effort but as you say not necessarily genetics unless you're aiming for the sub-5 category - which we don't really need for ultras :)

olga said...

My best year(s) in ultrarunning were when I did track repeats and tempos. yes, i truly believe - to run faster at any distance you need to train faster. Simple as that:) Good job!

Jen said...

I loved that comment about your old days of being "slow". It was inspiring to say the least. I am amazed at your efforts and I would be shocked if you don't post a massive PR the next time you race a marathon.
Jenna

Buy property in india said...

hello ,i like this very much,





Buy property in india