Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Few Raw Foods

After posting the sweet high fat laden treats in cake form from The Cake Slice I thought I better post a few raw, crunchy food items to balance out the blog.

The zucchini 'pasta' is light and crunch, so delicious. I have a spiralizer that I had purchased years ago to make fancy appetizers with different fruits and vegetables. More recently I am spiralizing zucchini, cucumber, apples and eggplant, then creating a dipping sauce or dressing to place on top.

The sauce atop the zucchini is a tomato/basil pesto which I made by blending sundried tomato, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and basil. It's so fresh, so full of flavor and so satiating..I just can't believe it!

The romaine wraps are simple as well and oh so tasty! You could fill them with anything. I have used garbanzo beans, hummus, strawberries and lime sauce, all kinds of items. Pictured is chopped tomato, avocado, red onion, a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Really, it is fabulous!

On this healthful eating note, tonight Michael Pollen of In Defense of Food and The Omnivore's Dilemma is speaking at Winona State. He's sold out. I would have liked to listen to him. Next time.

No comments: