Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Cooking for the Family

I've been receiving quite a bit of email recently from readers wondering how I manage the dinner meals, if my family is eating as I, if I am cooking differently for all of us.

For many years I've been cooking separately meals for my family and I. Steve, Tyler and Troy like to have a meat, a veggie, a bread and fruit for dessert. This is a very balanced way of eating the Standard American Diet. It isn't fast food, it isn't high sugar or high carb; this SAD is quite healthy in most circles.

I usually grill them a meat-lean beef or chicken. I usually foil potato, carrot and onion and grill along side the meat. I bake bread every weekend so there is always sliced bread upon the table and a dessert of fruit salad (just chopped apple, kiwi, pineapple, peach...whatever I have in the fruit basket) and a squirt of fresh lemon. I would then create a huge salad for myself and place one of the lean meats upon it, joining them in the fruit dessert. No big deal.

I would never eat what they are eating just because I didn't want to cook another meal for myself. There is absolutely no way I would ever eat something that I didn't want to. Ever. I have a difficult time understanding when a reader writes "I am eating pork and potato salad because that is what my husband wants for dinner" "My husband wanted BLT sandwiches and tomato soup tonight." "My mom made lasagna and garlic bread" WHAT? Take a few extra minutes and fix something to fuel YOUR body. Take care of yourself and eat what you want to eat. My goodness. I have a hard time with this one. I receive this 'excuse' all of the time.

Today I wanted to try a raw corn/avocado/red onion/lemon juice combination upon collard wraps. I grilled sirloin for the guys, made my salad above for the collard wraps, placed the remaining corn salad on the table with blue corn chips, boiled corn on the cob for the guys and made fruit salad. No problem. I then don't 'have' to eat sirloin and boiled corn on the cob. See? Simple!

If I ask the guys what they want for dinner (I normally just fix them dinner..no suggestions unless I am out of ideas) and they say fajitas and I am fine with fixing them, I will make them a pot of fried sirloin and have a ton of stir fry veggies separate from the beef. I'll then take a collard wrap and have stir fry veggies and maybe if I feel like it, some brown rice. No problem. Would I eat a beef fajita? I can't think of a time that I have. I think of fajita and think of beef, cheese, sour cream. Ew.

You really can cook for yourself and the family and it really isn't that difficult. It just takes a bit of change and you are worth that bit of change! Let me know how it goes for you.

1 comment:

Fruit Basket Review said...

I was really impressed with your conviction to cook food for yourself, pulling things from your fruit basket, even if you have to make a different meal for your family.