Saturday, February 14, 2009

Red, Pink and Girlie

I love Valentine's Day. I love the Red, the Pink, the Lace, the Velvet, Crystals, Diamonds..oh, the Chocolate. Yes, all capital letters, all wonderful images that come to mind when I think of Valentine's Day.

I even wanted to name our Ragdoll cats Comet and Cupid. The boys wouldn't allow Cupid. They figured Comet was OK. I instead named then Toffee and Truffles .. names of Godiva Chocolate. I have already come to the conclusion that I am addicted to sugar..

This morning Topaz and I headed off to the trail early, in the darkness. I wanted to get home in time to make the Valentine breakfast of heart shaped waffles served with strawberries. This year I used a new waffle recipe: Yeasted Belgian Waffles. A recipe with yeast and maple syrup. The batter only needed to rest for 3 hours to overnight. I mixed it up before I left the house and whalla..20 miles of snowshoeing later it was ready to pour into the Belgian waffler. The boys woke up to the fantastic scent of waffles. They loved the waffles. I had a bite and declared them delicious.

The boys and I spent the day together. I decided that because they would be snowboarding from 3-12PM tonight I'd run errands/gym after I brought them to the church to catch their bus. We had a great day; we played a game of Scrabble, which Tyler is way to good and always beats us and a game of Dominoes which Troy won. Caught up on laundry and house cleaning. Mixed together a batch of Oatmeal Toasting Bread; three loaves of which I am baking now.

Instead of making the Waldorf Astoria Red Cake which I made for Tyler's birthday and Christmas I made a butterscotch caramel cashew bar. The recipe is from the Sweet Melissa Baking Book another recipe book where I want to make every recipe, although I added the chocolate ganache finish for the top. The butterscotch sauce is amazingly good-and very easy to make. The base layer is like a shortbread; butter and sugar-no eggs. Topped with butterscotch chips, Karo syrup and cashews..then I added the ganache. Perfect!

After a day of baking and hanging out at home I brought the boys to the church and then went to the gym for a quick 2 mile treadmill run warmup and 65 minutes of bicep/tricep. I was glad when I came to the last tricep extension because I could not bang out another one. My triceps were beginning to cramp! Crazy. My head was banging to Lamb of God, Ozzie and Megadeath. Another 2 mile run on the treadmill and time to come home.

The house is quiet..Steve has been in Duluth..I think I'll take a hot bath, light a few candles and watch my Perfect Posing for Bodybuilding DVD :)

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

mj said...

Did you know that nearly 150 million cards are exchanged each Valentine's Day? Or that more than 40,000 American are employed at chocolate companies? Explore these and dozens more Valentine's Day facts about cards, chocolate, flowers and candy, the hallmarks of St. Valentine's Day.


Alaska fly fishing lodge | Los Angeles Self Storage Pods | Vodavi Starplus Phone Systems