Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Salade Nicoise

Oh my gosh! This is a fabulous salad. No kidding, it is simply the best. The recipe is quite large; it serves 8. I tweaked it a bit as my family doesn't care for tuna and Steve's Dad made tuna casserole for them while up north hunting this past weekend. Troy was not happy with the casserole. I used canned chicken instead.

I'm eating the last of the salad for lunch today and will whip up another one soon.

Vinaigrette:
3 T cider vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard
1/2 C Olive Oil (asks for 1 C)
1 white onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 C parsley leaves
3/4 C tarragon
Salt and Pepper

Salad:
2 pounds fresh tuna (I used canned chicken)
1 T olive oil
20 anchovy fillets (I put on side and no one liked..but Toffee, my cat)
1 pound green beans
1 pound yellow beans
2 lbs tiny new red potatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
6 roma tomatoes
8 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
1 c nicoise olives (not sure what nicoise olives are..used black)
4 c spinach leaves
4 c boston lettuce

In large bowl make the vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together.
Steam the beans, transfer 1/3 dressing to bowl and mix into beans.

Boil potatoes, cook 15 minutes, peel or not, 1/2 them and stir into 1/3 of vinaigrette.

Assemble: greens on bottom of platter, beans and peppers in middle, potatoes around edges with tomato. Meat piled into middle in a mound. Top with olives and anchovies. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette and additional olive oil if necessary.

WONDERFUL!

No comments: