Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Happy Mother

When I woke up this morning I wasn't sure if it was still raining out. It had rained all day yesterday and all last night. I woke at 430 so Topaz and I could be on the trail by 515 for a 30 mile run.

I looked at the thermometer. 31F. Good grief. Out came the gloves and ear band. The jacket. The long sleeved shirt. I was sure that as the miles ticked off and the sun rose the day would become pleasant.

I was correct! The sunrise was stunning. Pinks, purples and blues as the big red sun rose from the ground. I stood on top of Blue Hill to watch the show. Beautiful. As soon as the sun rose the small birds began to sing, the frogs began to ribbit, the sand hill cranes made their crazy bad violin sound and the geese began to honk. A wilderness symphony. I love the outdoors. I love to run in the early morning sunrise.

Not one other person was out on the trail this morning, my footprints were the only ones visible, making craters in the damp sandy areas. I love the solitude. The peace and quiet, being alone. That is one of the reasons I love long distance running. Time to myself; to think, to meditate, to sooth my soul.

The ponds are all full, some overfull, spilling into the low lands. Topaz had plenty of areas to immerse himself, go for a swim and a drink.

I ran 30 miles..I believe Topaz probably ran 40, as he runs out from me, and back, making big circles around me. He didn't get a run yesterday as I was at the ski hill. His body was a quiver with unleashed, pent up energy. He let it loose.

By the time we were finished the gloves and ear band were removed, the long sleeved shirt was off and I was warm. 5 hours goes by very quickly when I spend it doing what I love.

Back home to a shower and then Happy Mothers Day! Steve and the boys presented me with a Honey Crisp Apple tree! My favorite apple. When they are in season I eat a few a day, and then complain that they are the most expensive apple in the store. Now I have my own tree!

Tyler and Troy then offered to help me weed out my perennial gardens and to get them ready for the season. I was stunned. Help me weed? I took full advantage and we weeded and planted for 3 hours, without one complaint! We had 3 hours to talk without being interupped by telephone or television or friends. 3 hours that I will always treasure; talking about school, friends, sports and anything else that came up. 3 hours of garden work was never more enjoyable.

A hard leg day at the gym..some grocery shopping and taking it easy tonight, watching the Twins. A very good day.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's out there!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Happy Mothers Day to you too. I am always in awe of the miles you run and the things you get accomplished. I wish we were running buddies. That would be fun. I guess I will just settle on having you as my blogger friend. Thanks for constantly inspiring me.