Sunday, November 04, 2007

Blaze Orange

The Minnesota Deer Opener began yesterday. Let the shot guns fly. Topaz and I headed out to the Blue Hill Trail as it is a no hunting zone. I always hear hunters around the perimeter of the trail where hunting is allowed, but have yet to see a hunter on the trail.

As I approached the trail head I saw the sign: Closed for Repair of Bridges. The parking lot was closed. The bridges have been out since August. I just wade through the water; no biggie. I like that many of the trail walkers now stay home due to the bridges being out.

I decided to drive up to the Mahonen Trail; it's not as nice, about 4 miles long, will do it a pinch. As I approached this trail I saw the sign "warning: deer hunt in progress, must wear blaze orange". There was only one truck in the lot, I figured it was a walker or something. Well, good grief, as I am running down the trail here I see the man in orange in a tree stand right over the trail that I am running upon. I can hear shots all over the place. I was a wreck. Even though I had on my blaze orange, and Topaz had on his, I was freaked out. Not worth it. So not worth it.

I got back into the car and headed back to Blue Hill. I decided to park across the street in the deer hunting zone and run over to the trail. Ah, relief. No gun shots, but running where I wasn't supposed to be, and being freaked out from the deer shots I heard from Mahonen, had my hair on end. I didn't enjoy it very much. I couldn't relax. I ran for three hours; three hours of dodging deer hunters is what it felt like. I didn't see any hunters on Blue Hill, the bridges haven't been touched. I came home and saw online that the freaking trail will be closed until December 31. Well, *uck that.

Today we headed back out to Mille Lacs Kathio State Park. No deer hunting allowed in the whole park :) Topaz and I had on our blaze orange, but I didn't hear a shot. Peace. Quiet. Relaxing. Just what I needed. 7 wonderful hours on the trail. I'm really digging this park!

Today I investigated the river and lakes of the park. Topaz swam, I skipped rocks. It was a beautiful day; warm, not windy, 60F. Tomorrow the cold front comes through.

My legs are achy. Yesterday I completed a whopper of a leg workout. I had been doing Afterburn workouts since July. I just finished up the 12 week set, it went well, is good to do with all the racing I did during the summer as it doesn't wreck me. Today I went back and began Muscle Professor workouts from LL. Oh man, I forgot how wicked the legs template was. I did the following:

Barbell Squat: 90x10x1; 155x10x3
Sitting Leg Press: 100x10x1, 190x10x3
Leg Extension: 35x10x1, 85x10x3
Laying Ham Curl: 40x10x1, 90x10x3
Barbell Dead Lift: 45x10x1, 90x10x3
Adducter: 90x10x1, 165x10x3
Abductor: 90x10x1, 165x10x3

It took me 60 minutes! I love the muscle professor. I came home, entered my values and printed off legs for next week. In the meantime, I'm planning 3x in the gym a week; biceps/chest/tricep; legs; shoulder/back. Winter is a good time to build my strength back up.

Ought to be interesting hobbling out my treadmill intervals in the AM!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Jules what program are you using in MP for your splits?

I'm glad you were not taken as deer meat today, you nut!

And what a cool mom, taken you son to his first concert and Ozzy at that!

Julie B said...

Hey Kim,

I used the MP template to create my own 12 week program for three days a week splitting legs; back and shoulders; chest, bicep and tricep. I may have to split legs into two different days. I didn't work any calves!

Lisa said...

I was wondering where you purchased your grass-fed beef and was it expensive????

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie,
I have a tech question for you. I have only used itunes and downloaded a few work out from Muscle professor. How do I get it on the ipod? I tried just selecting them all and sending them to it and it didn't work. Do you have to burn them on disc first? I have only used itunes, so I really have no clue how to get nonitunes stuff on there!

Thanks
Michelle