Friday, November 30, 2007

Apples, Apples and More Apples

On Wednesday Troy let me know that he had an assignment due on Friday in his Social Studies class. He had to create a project that the Minnesota Settlers would have created in the 1890's. It could be a food, a quilt, a project of some sort. Troy decided to bake an apple pie. What is more Americana than apple pie, and for a touch of Minnesota, us Honey Crisp apples. A great idea.

After working legs for an hour on Wednesday evening we went to the grocery store for a few items. We needed brown sugar and more apples.

On Thursday before going on my run at the trail, I showed Troy how to peel an apple without cutting himself and told him he could begin to peel the apples, that I would be home around 530 to help him with the pie.

Topaz and I had a nice run among the deer and returned home at 530. Troy was out jumping on the trampoline, I figured he probably peeled 3-4 apples and became bored with the task.

I walked into the kitchen and was shocked at the pile of peeled apples in the sink. The sink was full of apples!

I gave Troy a shout and called him into the house. I congratulated him on a job well done. I was thinking to myself 'my gosh, kid, you peeled 30 apples, what were you thinking?' but I did not say so! I never told him how many apples to peel. I just never imagined he'd peel them all.

Troy and I chopped and cored the apples. He measured out 20 freaking cups of apples. To this he added brown sugar, butter, oats and cinnamon. We had quite a batch! I showed Troy how to roll out one crust..he rolled out FIVE more. Yes, we had enough apples for 3 pies, an apple cake and apple waffles this morning. Apple-icious! I even brought in pie and a cake to my coworkers today. Troy received rave reviews and even obtained an A on his assignment.

This week I've had to wear two pair of pants, two shirts and double mittens while running. It's been single digits cold and super windy. Tomorrow they are forecasting 10-12" of snow for the area NW of Mpls/St Paul, bingo! I might be pulling out my snowshoes for a long run on Sunday. I'll cross my fingers.

I'm also crossing my fingers due to the lottery tomorrow. At 1100 MN time, the RD will be drawing names for the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run. I believe I have a 16% chance of being selected, but hey, for some reason I am feeling lucky! I feel like I'd be selected in the lottery and I'll then apply for the Grand Slam. Woohoo! Crossing my fingers..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy apples batman!!! 20 cups of apples, I would have no clue what to do other than make 20 cups of applesauce!!! That is a mundance task, wonder where he gets his go-get-it, don't stop attitude from?? Hmmmm?? LOL

Did you get in the race? When will you hear?