Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mother Nature: Taking Her Arrowhead Entrants

It looks like the cold weather has taken it's toll on our Arrowhead 135 Winter Ultramarathon runners. She's one cold bitch. Last update at 2 PM today had 18 runners/skiers and bikers left in the race out of the 49 that had begun. Now there are even less.

I just can't imagine running this distance in this cold weather. Your water is going to be frozen, you are carrying a stove with you, do you keep stopping to thaw the water? Do you have enough frozen food? Can you really generate enough heat to stay warm..you need to walk..you must freeze while walking. We all know what it is like to have your sweat freeze..to cool off so quickly you feel frozen. Well, hello, during the night the wind chill was -60's WTF i say WTF? How do you do this?

I can't believe I was contemplating such a thing. I must have been having a good high confidence day. I haven't had one of those since I crashed and burned at Superior. Shit. I'll get it back, eventually. Now, I'm just struggling.

So, Scott was finished with his race at 38 miles and Pierre, Race Director, suffered frost bite and dropped at 74 miles. John Storkamp, last year's winner, dropped at 74 miles. I'm sure it was a tough decision, but a damn smart one. I don't know where John Taylor dropped, it was at about midnight last night. CONGRATULATIONS to all of you guys..for the effort you gave..man, I'm in awe to each and every one of you. I'm proud of you all. I can not wait to hear about your adventures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you struggling? You are still exercising every day. I am assuming that you are still keeping the weight off and eating well since that information is private now. When will you at least update your weekly regimen? It still states that you are doing the Snowshoe marathon from many weeks ago. I am struggling. Rheumatoid arthritis has set in, making it difficult to walk, let alone run. I read posts like yours to remember what it was like to feel the wind in my face, to watch wildlife around me as I dashed through the wilderness. I see you as strong, not struggling.

Julie B said...

I meant struggling with confidence. The eating is public; it has been for a while. The link should be active. I haven't updated the sideabar on workouts. I'm sorry your arthritis is making walking difficult.