Monday, November 13, 2006

Racing Topaz

What a fun run today! After work I came home, changed clothes and told Topaz 'let's go for a run!' We headed off to the trail before the sun was going to set. The sky was beautiful: pinks, oranges and yellows. I didn't have my camera. I'll bring it next time!

I felt pure happiness again while running. It's been a while. I've felt burnt out, in a rut, whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure what is was. Probably still a sting from Superior 100. That won't go away until I finish her.

Anyhow, as I and Topaz were running I began to laugh, to talk to Topaz, and realized I hadn't done that in quite some time either.

I felt awesome, happy, strong and fit. I was trying to race Topaz. As he would meander off of the trail to chase a deer, or smell a turkey, I'd run up ahead as fast as I could. Inevitably, he'd notice I was ahead of him and tear up the trail as fast as he could, passing me, and getting in another 200 feet for good measure. I can not beat that dog. Ever. I kept trying, it was hilarious. For my last effort, he took off for a pheasant, of course the trail happened to go up hill, I ran as fast I could, trying to be quiet so he wouldn't notice that I was ahead of him. I didn't get half way up the hill when he came tearing by me as fast as he could go. I couldn't stop laughing. What a speed demon I have created in him! He truly loves running as much as I, plus he has that little Border Collie herding instinct working for him.

As we walked to the trail head I realized I was laughing, beaming, just having a grand time. I'm so glad I'm back!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Julie
I am so glad that when you write of your running it is not just training schedules and food menus. I love these posts of you and Topaz on the trail, for the sheer joy of it. Thank you!

robtherunner said...

Sounds awesome Julie. I can't wait to get that feeling back as well.

Cliff said...

If I get a dog..i will get one just like Topaz...

olga said...

I am looking forward to when our new addition is old enough to run with me on trails! that was the reason for picking up particular breed - we had few in mind, but it played out by faith.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Here are just a few grammatical/spelling pointers though:
When you are refering to yourself and someone else in the subject of a sentence, you use "Topaz and I" not the other way around. If you are talking of someone and yourself in the predicate of a sentence you would use "Topaz and me" not "I and Topaz". Just remember to always put the other person/animal before your "I" or "me".
Also, "Wala" is incorrect. The correct spelling is v-o-i-l-a. It's French.
Some people are just as passionate about the English language as you are about running!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Here are just a few grammatical/spelling pointers though:
When you are refering to yourself and someone else in the subject of a sentence, you use "Topaz and I" not the other way around. If you are talking of someone and yourself in the predicate of a sentence you would use "Topaz and me" not "I and Topaz". Just remember to always put the other person/animal before your "I" or "me".
Also, "Wala" is incorrect. The correct spelling is v-o-i-l-a. It's French.
Some people are just as passionate about the English language as you are about running!