Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Spring Has Sprung

This morning the alarm went on at 400; time for an early morning swim. The gym doesn't open until 5 so I have to get over there and sit in the parking lot until the doors are unlocked. I am always early, I am always waiting. Story of my life.

Into the pool. Ah, the goggles make the BIGGEST difference! I'm not all over the lane, I can see what I am doing. Anything to make this a bit easier.

I was able to swim 3x25 freestyle, 1x25 breast, repeat 10 times. I need that breast stroke recovery lap in there. I am totally out of air by the end of each 3x25. Totally out of air.

The indoor triathlon I was planning on trying is in May and I need to swim 600 yards. I just don't see that happening. My running mileage is getting big with 2 a day training runs and that doesn't leave much time to learn to swim. We'll see how it pans out but I can see me running through my swim training time.

It I am not accepted into Western States in '07 the plans for the Grand Slam go to '08 as I'd be accepted on the 'two loser plan'. If a person isn't drawn in the Western States lottery for two consecutive years the person automatically receives entry into the third. So, if not accepted into WS in '07 I can always set the Madison Ironman for my goal. That's an option. Then I'd be sure to get into the pool! Ha, I haven't even completed a mini tri and I'm thinking Ironman. I don't think little. I don't set small goals. It's all or nothing.

I'm obsessive/compulsive.

Tonight is run club. I'm going to go an hour early and get in 5 miles before the other runners show up, for a total of 10 miles. It is 42 degrees out there! I can't wait to get out and run. Can. Not. Wait.

McNaughton is 7 weeks out. Mileage is growing.

3 comments:

jessie_tri_mn said...

As a ultra runner, I don't think you could possibly be satisfied with a sprint tri ;)

I do imagine it's getting difficult to juggle those increasing road miles and attempting this whole swimming thing. However, I have found swimming to be the BEST cross training and I credit it with helping me become a stronger runner.

Besides, it is much easier with goggles, no?

Jessi said...

Hi Julie,
I was checking out your food diary - seems like we have similar eating patterns. Are you still trying to lose weight? From your blog (and pics!) it was my impression that you had reached goal? Just curious.
-Jessi

Cliff said...

maybe u can run across the water? :)...

Don't worry too mucha bout the water. I had that problem too. If u have to breast stroke...breast away :)..that's what i did for my first tri.

You might lose some speed (i didn't..i swam 750 m in 17 min). You know once u are back on land you will back in business.