Sunday, January 01, 2006

Running In The New Year

Last night at 11:30 I climbed back into my winter running gear. I had just pulled it out of the dryer as I had just finished a long snowshoe run in what didn't seem like too many hours ago.

At 11:45 5 hearty souls from the Big Lake Run Club met in at our Wednesday night location and headed on out. It was 30F and not even a slight breeze. What a great night for a run.

At 12:00 Kevin's watch began to beep, we watched a few fireworks appear and high fived one another. We talked about how thankful we are, to be able to run in the New Year. Still healthy, still running, still alive and kicking. That's all we can ask for.

After we finished the 5 mile route we set up a table in the parking lot. Out came wonderful hot cocoa, cookies, biscotti, spinach dip and bread and some non-alcoholic champagne.

An awesome start to 2006!

2 comments:

Ironayla said...

What a great way to bring in the new year! Thanks for sharing it with us.

RTG said...

I'm envious. You're so lucky to have such a dedicated, close-knit group of running partners.

Running at midnight on New Year's Eve is a great way to bring in another year. I did it once, in 1998 with a running group in Minneapolis, and thought I would do it regularly after that. Unfortunately, I haven't. Perhaps next year I'll again ring in a new year by running.