Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Twin Cities Marathon

Twin Cities Marathon is held this Sunday at 8:00. I have been speed training for the first time..ever..this past summer. Running Yasso 800's each week. I began by running 3 of them, then as the weeks passed I was able to run 12 of them @ 3:45 minute average. Supposedly that is going to get me across the finish line in 3:50 so that I qualify for the Boston Marathon.

The Boston Marathon is held in April. My luck it will be the Monday following The McNaughton 100 Mile Trail Race, which I also want to run. I haven't dared look up the dates..yet.

If I run a qualifying time, it will hold for two years, so I could always opt to run Boston the following year. That's a big IF.

Typically, while running marathons (I've now run 19 marathons...26 ultras..) I have to take 4 pee breaks and maybe one poop (yeah, sorry, but this is a natural occurrence..you know..) break. During an ultra, oh, don't get me started...

So I'm concerned about making the time with the potty breaks. I can NOT wait in line at a port a pottie. No way. At Grandmas, and at ultras, I can go in the woods..but in Minneapolis and St. Paul, that is not an option. We run residential/city lakes and rivers. There is not much for the wilderness. Also, the port a potties have lines of people waiting to use them. Lines! I have been known to squat in back of the port a pottie and just go there, you know, I can't wait in line.

What do you do? Really? I'm wondering...

A friend of mine suggested that I take an immodium tablet approximately 30 minutes prior to the race. I don't know, I haven't tried this in training and I don't really think I should try it during the race. We'll see.

I'm going to attend the Expo on Saturday to pick up my packet and check in with the Cliff Pace Team. My plan is to run along with them and their 350 pace team. I ran with Danny Ripka (Team Leader) during Grandmas Marathon. He was leading the 400 marathon group and he crossed the finish line in 357. I had to stop and poop and made it in 359:58. I will ride along with Ann and family to the start on Sunday morning. It is SO cool not to have hotel expenses for this race. I only live 54 miles away..that rocks.

I'm taking it a bit easy this week; maybe 20 miles prior to the marathon. Easy on the weights, no working legs. This doesn't go well with the aggressive exercise program I wanted to set up with Leanness Lifestyle. I'm down an extra 1.5 pounds than my goal setter so I have some room for maintenance this week. Next week I'll go fast and furious...and then of course there is the Ed Fitz 100K on October 15...

Today: 5 mile treadmill/5 mile trail

M1: Oat Pancake( 1 c raw oats, 1 egg, 5 whites, cinn, splenda, ICBINB spray, sf syrup)
M2: 5 oz Tuna, 2 T raisins, 1 apple
M3: McDonalds Ceaser Salad, ff dressing
M4: 6 oz Salmon, cucumber, tomato, ff dressing
M5: 1/2 c Cottage cheese, cinn, splenda, 1/2 apple

6 comments:

Flatman said...

Boston is Monday, April 17th...

I can't find a date for McNaughton yet.

Good luck on Sunday...this ought to be a walk in the park after last months race!

jessie_tri_mn said...

I think that one of the major reasons I haven't gone back to longer distance races is the potty break issue.

In case of emergency, much of the portion of the course that runs along the river has wooded areas that one can ditch into. One knows this because one lives and runs a lot along said river ;) Problem is there will also be spectators there.

Nice job on those Yassos! I'll be cheering on marathoners Sunday, sometime after the hubby finishes the 10 miler...

Joe Sherry said...

Julie, as a guy my perspective may be skewed on the potty break, but I've heard many a story and these hardcore marathon women just squatting down next to the guys and just pulling their shorts to the side.

Of course, I've also heard stories about hardcore runners just going on the run. I may be the wrong person to ask.

Honestly, though, if you just go behind the port o pot or just off the road if it is moderately empty you'll be no different than hundreds of other men and women who can't go at a port o pot. Grandma's is easier, I agree. I had to go three minutes into the race this year. If you're worried about tp, just bring a wad with you (tucked in a baggie or something) and if you go in the woods you should be okay. The area around the Lakes might be the best place for that if you really get to choose when to poop.

nancytoby said...

I take tons of Imodium before a marathon, and know lots of runners who do. Not just one - that won't stop a running-induced poop. More like 2 the night before, and 2 in the morning. It will NOT make it turn to concrete. :-)

And/or: Eat low-residue food the 24 hours before.

Can't help you with the pee stops, sorry....

Flatman said...

Wow, no concrete is a huge relief, Nancy! I need to remember the immodium for my upcoming 'thon!

I can't believe we are talking about this...

Joe Sherry said...

You might want to try the Immodium on training runs, though. I wouldn't try something new that someone posted on my blog just because it works for someone else.

Not saying it doesn't work or it won't work, but for Julie the marathon is sunday. Not the time to be messing with stuff.